Saturday, January 19, 2013

Message Received

I want to start out by thanking each and every person who posted on the forums in support of my last blog post. I thought I might get a couple hundred replies at best, and you guys and gals went above and beyond. I want to especially thank you for staying civil, creative and positive in the entire thread. I read each and every post, and there were very few threats, and very little incoherent rage. It was, by far, the politest and most constructive threadnaught I've ever seen.

CCP has noticed. There have been a couple of posts by CCP staff in the thread, CCP Gargant posted here, and CCP Seagull posted here. I responded to CCP Gargant's post here. I have also talked to other CCP staff, and they certainly are aware of both the size of the thread and the respectful tone of the thread. CCP has said they will make a more substantive response to the thread in the next few days as well.

I do want to make sure people have realistic expectations for what sort of response CCP is likely to make. As my colleague Trebor has explained on his blog, CCP is in the middle of planning for the upcoming May expansion right now, and the CSM is heavily involved in that process. That means that even in the best case, CCP will not be deciding about work on the POS system for some weeks.

The other thing I want to address is that some people feel I either have been dishonest in my choice of quotes from the minutes, or that I am taking the wrong approach by bringing the issue to the players. On the selective quoting, all I can say is that I was there. Before the threadnaught, I felt that it was possible that CCP might not decide to either start work on the modular POS system or give us the fixes to the current POS system that everyone has been looking forward to for literally years. After all of you told CCP how important it is to you, I think it is a lot more likely that they will at least deliver some relatively simple improvements to the current POS system as part of the May release.

If anyone has any questions or comments, please feel free to EVE mail or convo me, or post here. I was also on the Down the Pipe podcast last night, you can listen here. I will also be on EVE radio in a few minutes, at 22:00 EVE time today.

3 comments:

  1. "...some people feel..."
    "...been dishonest in my choice of quotes..."
    "...wrong approach by bringing the issue to the players."


    (1) 'some people' need to RTFM(inutes)
    (2) Bringing issues TO THE PLAYERS is the JOB of the CSM.

    TYVM you for doing your job... =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two Step,

    Seagull says in her more detailed post,

    "...When we talk about "the POS system" only affecting a "small portion of the community", we are referring to the focus of the prototype, not to the current starbase system or the concept of the full "modular POS system" - but this does not come across well in the CSM Summit minutes..."

    As you say, you were there. Do you agree with Seagull's assessment that the CSM minutes do not accurately reflect CCP's position during the meeting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wasn't what I understood, and several other people in the room, including some CCP staff didn't understand it that way as well. That apparently was what CCP Unifex and CCP Soundwave were trying to say, but they didn't say it very clearly.

      Delete